Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I take for granted


NUMBER ONE THING I TAKE FOR GRANTED (at least right now): Hooks to hang stuff on!!!!


Why is that my number one thing? Well, my lucky little friend let me explain this to you... I am right now stuck in the airport in Reno, NV. I am stuck between the excitement of being in the the world's biggest little town and my desired destination...Boise. I am being reminded constantly of the thrill of gambling with slot machines within 10 paces in every direction and poker chip keychains that read Reno Nevada.

I find it funny that in front of the gate terminal where you have to wait for your airplane there are signs that state, "it is against the law for those under 21 to loiter near gambling areas," Hmm. Maybe they should put the slot machines somewhere besides a designated loitering area, I mean isn't that what the gate is for: an accepted form of loitering (waiting)for your flight. Then, how are they supposed to enforce that. I mean if I were a determined to loiter around slot machines and happened to be under the gambling legal age limit and some one were to accuse me of loitering, I would totally say, "Hey I'm waiting for my flight." There really would be no way to disprove that. (Ha! That's right, evil genius at work.)

Anyway, I'm off the mark with the whole hook thing... I had to go to the bathroom and of course that like anybody else in an airport I have bags being toted around like an annoying Siamese twin that can't even carry on a conversation to help pass the boring time in a shopping deprived terminal. (insert breath here) I shut the stall turn around expecting the necessity of every airport hopper... a hook to put my portable companion aka ... my backpack. Alas, I saw the evidence that at one time there had been a hook there, but some heavy laden bag, in league with the laws of gravity, ripped the damn thing off before I got here. "Oh, my kingdom for a hook!" So, there I was in a tiny stall, hoping to all that was holy that the suspicious floor was Ebola virus free, trying to set my bag down in a severely space deprived lavatory cubicle! I had to wedge my bag between the door and my knees while in the sitting position which made me nervous that if someone had installed one of those perverted video cameras, then I truly felt sorry for him when he checked this footage. I at least had one comfort, if someone tried to bust in on me there was no way he was going to be able to get the door open.

That's when the thought occurred to me, I really take hooks for granted! They hang out all day and I just expect them to be there when I need them. Then, I thought it's probably a good thing hooks were invented before this day and age of extreme capitalism or we would have to deposit 50 cents before using them and really in a bathroom emergency, lets face it that would suck!

So, I officially thank the inventor of the hook! Thanks for thinking, "I should make something to hang stuff on."

1 comment:

Amber said...

I believe Thomas Jefferson invented said hook. You are too funny! Oh and Mark and I went to Vegas in May and I realize now I could seriously become addicted to slot machines if I was using someone else's money. They just suck you in!